Panama Permanent Residency Visas
Panama offers several permanent residency visa programs. Foreigners have several options to choose from in order to live permanently in Panama.
Here is a list with a short explanation of every Panama immigration visa that grants permanent residency:
1. Panama Friendly Nations Visa
If you are a citizen from one of the 50 friendly nations listed below and wish to relocate to Panama in order to conduct economic or professional business activities you can qualify for this fast track permanent residency program:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein,Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Marino, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United States of America, Uruguay, United Kingdom (Great Britain & Northern Ireland).
2. Panama Self Economic Solvency Visa
There are 3 options available to qualify for this unique Panama economic solvency visa created to attract wealthy foreigners to become permanent Panama residents:
- Make an investment of at least $300,000 USD in Panama real property equity (not counting loans or mortgages amounts). For every dependent to be included with the visa, an additional $2,000 USD must be invested. The title can either be in a person’s name or in a Panama Private Interest Foundation (the primary applicant must either be a beneficiary or the creator). The property cannot be in the name of a Trust or a corporation. The primary applicant must also show the ability to support the family while living in Panama.
- Make an investment of at least $300,000 USD in a 3 year Panama bank time deposit (“Certificate of Deposit”). For each dependant an additional $2,000US
needs to be invested. The Panama bank CD can only be in the name of the primary applicant and not in a trust, corporation, or foundation.
- Combine the first two options by making an investment in both Panama real property and a Panama bank CD where the equity and cash amount total at least $300,000 USD (or foreign currency equivalent). An additional $2,000 USD must be invested for each dependent.
3. Panama Business Investor Visa
Foreigners can obtain a Panama Business Investor Visa by investing in a Panama business with at least $160,000 USD in capital stock. The investor can apply for the visa as an officer or shareholder of the Panama corporation. An additional $2,000 must be invested per dependent.
4. Panama Reforestation Investor Visa
Permanent residency leading to full citizenship can be achieved with just a minimum $80,000 USD investment to purchase at least 5 hectares of titled land in a government certified reforestation project. An additional $2,000 will be needed for each dependent. Panama reforestation investments have averaged annual returns of 23% over the past 20 years.
5. Panama Retired or Pensioned Program
Retirees or people with lifetime annuities or pensions can qualify for the Panama Pensioner Visa, also know as the Panama retirement visa. This permanent residency visa is for anyone over 18 years of age who obtains monthly pensions or annuities of at least $1,000 USD for the rest of their lives. An additional $250 per month must be received for each dependent. Married couples can combine their annuities or pensions to meet the minimum requirement. An exception exists where the primary applicant purchases Panama real estate valued at least $100,000 lowering the monthly minimum to $750. The annuity or pension can come from a government, its military, a corporation, a bank, an insurance company, a Trust, or private company. There are many discounts available to card carrying pensioners in Panama including pharmacies, restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, concerts, and domestic airfare.
6. Marry a Panama Citizen
A legal, valid marriage to a Panama citizen can lead to permanent residency.